Having captions available for the media instructors utilize in their classes IS THE LAW.
Here are some resources I have gathered…
Search sites for already captioned media:
- 22frames.com is providing a central place to easily and reliably discover captioned and subtitled videos across multiple video hosts. In turn, an additionally important goal is to drive significant traffic to caption and subtitle friendly video hosts and creators.
Create your own captions:
- SubPLY Create your own captions using our simple and free do-it-yourself captioning tool.
- A collaborative toolset and community for volunteers and organizations around the world to make almost any web video accessible for the deaf and to translate videos for all of us.
Clearinghouse of Accessibility Information on DCMP.org for more on captioning:
- Web-based Captioning/Subtitling Tools
- Desktop Captioning/Subtitling Software
- Caption-Ready Video Hosting Providers
Described and Captioned Media Program VOICE 800-237-6213 | TTY 800-237-6819 | FAX800-538-5636 | E-MAIL firstname.lastname@example.org | WEB http://www.dcmp.org Funding for the Described and Captioned Media Program is provided by the U.S. Department of Education Revised December 2011
Additional Resources http://www.vdrdc.org/resources
Video Description Software:
- CapScribe Open Free Mac-based video editor for captioning and description developed by Inclusive Media and Design.
- MAGpie Media Access Generator is the original free caption and audio-description authoring tool for making multimedia accessible to persons with sensory disabilities, developed by NCAM, the National Center for Accessible Media.
- Livedescribe Video description software designed, prototyped and developed at The Center for Learning Technology by developer Carmen Branje.
Video Description Services Lists:
- The ACB Audio Description Project’s Services List List of individual, organization, and corporate services in the USA that are involved with video description.
- DCMP Video Description Services List Listing and contact information for video description vendors inside and outside the United States.
Video Description Vendors – for a more comprehensive list, please visit the ACB or DCMP links above.
- Audio Description Associates Video description of television/film, museum exhibitions, theater and a variety of events.
- CaptionMax Video description and captioning for television, webcast, and DVD.
- Dicapta Video description and captioning in English and Spanish.
- Inclusive Media and Design Video description and captioning for web-based videos.
- Media Access Group at WGBH Video description for the web, DVD, live programs, digital tv, and feature films.
- The Washington Ear Video description for films, videos, Imax films, museums, and live theater.
Video Description Standards and Guidelines:
- The ACB Audio Description Project Guidelines
- The ACB Audio Description Project Draft of Standards
- The Audio Description Coalition Standards
- The Description Key by DCMP
- The Independent Television Commission Guidance on Standards
- The Media Access Group at WGBH Strategies and Techniques
Read my other posts: